A Great Lakes Legacy!
Along the Detroit River, on any given day, a well-known diesel motorship brushes up against
a much larger, passing vessel. A rope and bucket are lowered from the ship to the smaller boat,
where messages, mail and other items are placed and raised back up. It’s the tradition called
“mail in the pail"…and a legacy known as J.W. Westcott, the most reliable and dependable
marine delivery service on the Great Lakes.
When You Need Something, We’re There!
Since 1874, the J.W. Westcott Company has been serving the Port of Detroit, offering
ship to shore service 24-hours a day, during the navigation season:*
- U.S. mail delivery
- Freight delivery, storage & forwarding
- Message service
- Water taxi service (to and from vessels)
- Pilot boat services for the Port of Detroit
- The sale and delivery of snacks & cigarettes
- Marine Bookstore offering U.S. and Canadian nautical charts, U.S. Government Publications, maritime history books, manuals for the professional mariner & postcards
At J.W. Westcott, we’re proud of our fine heritage and look forward to serving you in the future.
CLICK HERE TO VIEW—Detroit's Floating Post Office Delivers Mail by Pail Yahoo! Video.